Accelerate Your Sale
With a Digital Sales Playbook
15 minutes to read
Most sales teams have some form of a playbook. The challenge is it’s collecting dust – either printed on reps desk or in hard to find places across the web. This video will take you through the mechanics of digitizing your playbook in Tout so your team can leverage it where they live everyday.
The Tailwind on Your Sales Cycle Today
There are a number of levers you can pull as a sales leader to accelerate your team’s results – things like hire more reps, improve pipeline coverage, optimize conversions in your funnel, expand into new markets just to name a few. Sales leaders commonly invest in training, new hire bootcamps, driving alignment with marketing content and create and print a sales playbook.
The interesting thing is that all of those levers have one thing in common — they can be either positive or negatively impacted by the amount of time your team is spending on selling activities every day.
Only 33% of your rep’s time is spent on actual selling.
Companies spend nearly $20,000 per year/ per rep to improve productivity and yet rep productivity is at all all – time low.
When you start to break down the activities a rep does every day it adds up. You can start to see that number taking shape. They are spending time doing things like:
- Updating their CRM
- Figuring out what to do next after a tough objection
- OR taking a look over their shoulder at the top performing rep next to them trying to figure out’ ‘ what are they doing’ – so I can hit my number and make more money this year
Some of the administrative activities can be automated with tools — such as keeping the CRM up to date. The other examples are the ones that kill us because they are not new situations, challenges or objections. You probably have a playbook sitting on their desk that was designed to help them get over those challenges, address the objections and get onto that next step with in a lot less time with a lot higher effectiveness.
The problem is reps aren’t using the playbook and it’s collecting dust.
Our goal here at ToutApp is to help customers go beyond the traditional methods by giving you a vehicle to deliver your framework to your team where they work everyday. You remove the guesswork for reps, have data on adoption of the playbook and the ability to measure success or areas of improvement.
How can sales leaders make their playbook, content & training available to reps during game time when they need it the most?
Your Digital Sales Playbook to the Rescue
Sales leaders are shifting from the traditional methods towards a Digitized Sales Playbook to minimize administrative efforts for reps, increasing rep productivity and improving consistency in selling activities all which accelerate sales results. Essentially taking the playbook that you’ve spent weeks, months or in some cases piecing together for years and bringing it to life where your team is living day to day.
The benefits of digitizing your sales playbook:
- Digitized sales playbooks deliver the right messaging at the right time for each customer interaction and each stage of the sales process.
- Digitized sales playbooks pivot around sales stages, strategy and key messaging.
- Digitized sales playbooks get adopted resulting in consistency in sales process, messaging and ultimately results improve.
- Digitized sales playbooks are agile and improve as you gather data.
How do you move the needle?
Revenue is top of mind for most…ok…all of the sales leaders we work with today. There are many ways to go about impacting revenue and accelerate your sale (i.e. reduce ramp time, invest in training, improve win rates, deal size, more pipeline or better quality pipeline). We’ve found the best way to move the needle is having your playbook, training and content accessible and very easy to use for your sales reps.
Get Oriented with the Framework
Let’s take a look at what makes up a Digitized Sales Playbook. The best way to get started is to visualize your playbook.
Across the top: Stages based on your methodology and buyer journey. I.E. Challenger, Sandler, MEDDIC, CCS, Miller-Heiman, TAS, etc.
Below the stages: Gates that map to the buyer journey and are necessary to move the deal forward
As you continue down: Internal content to support your process and customer facing deliverables needed to make their decision as they go through the buying process. Some examples are of internal resources are: training videos, call recording, ROI docs vs external facing content: marketing collateral, sales decks, case studies
Across the bottom: The last layer at the bottom is the specific messaging and activities reps use across any stage. Building on the sales process gates and internal/ external content you have, craft your messaging, game time strategy and plays used when reps are prospecting, qualifying, sending a proposal, negotiating, handling objections and so on. The real magic happens, when the specific messaging reps use at each of the stages is made available in the sales software – ToutApp – so at the have the right messaging at the right moment.
Take Action & Best Practices
Use the Digital Sales Playbook worksheet to plug your own playbook into the framework, the ‘Checklist to Launch Your Digital Sales Playbook ‘ and your team ToutApp account to digitize your playbook.
Checklist to Launch Your Digital Sales Playbook
You might already have your sales process mapped out and your playbook fully intact or you’re iterating on your process and playbook. Start with what you have codified today and iterate over time. Here’s a quick checklist to get started with the Digital Sales Playbook.
Let’s dive deeper to take action on steps 1 – 5.
Assess Your Sales Playbook
Guiding Questions to Consider
- What’s your methodology and buyer journey?
- What is your sales process and gates?
- What’s the complexity of your sale?
- What do you already have in terms of content and messaging?
- What is key to your playbook – best practices, strategy?
Once you assess your playbook, then you’ll want to break down your sales stages and gates.
Gather Content & Map to Sales Stage
Guiding Questions to Consider
- Where does your content live today?
- What parts of the sales process have the most content?
- Which areas is there too much content/ overload?
- Where are there gaps in content or areas that need cleanup
- What feedback does the sales team and management have on content?
- Who else should I involve?
Gather your existing internal content to support your process and the customer facing deliverables needed to make their decision as they go through the buying process and map to the sales stage. You should note areas where you have too much, outdated or not enough. This will help to streamline your resources and content.
Digitize Your Playbook in ToutApp
Identify the key areas of your playbook reps need to accelerate a deal and make the messaging, content, best practices and training available in ToutApp through creation and organization of ToutApp templates and campaigns. The organization of these templates & campaigns is key so it is easy for the reps to plug, play and personalize based on the relationship they are building with a prospect or client.
This is the step where you are going to get both strategic and hands on in mapping your playbook to ToutApp. We’ve put together a full guide here which will walk you through our recommended tactics and best practices to effectively manage templates, campaigns and collaboration within ToutApp to set your team up for success.
How to get started in ToutApp:
- Create categories for each of your sales stages
- Add categories for prospect stages, persona, industry or account based prospecting, inbound/ outbound, common objections and competitive differentiation
- Proactively source & package content/ messaging from your top performers
- Create templates & campaigns in each category to be used as blue prints
- Have reps drop their templates into the relevant category
Inspect What You Expect
You built your playbook for a reason – You know what it takes to be successful at your company. Because your reps are not able to access their playbook where they live adoption will naturally be higher. And since ToutApp tracks your teams communication you will get two very valuable data points: (1) Is your team using the playbook you built? (Part? All? Some people?) (2) How effective are the different components of your playbook?
Tips to get your end users on the optimal path of adoption:
- Get your top Tout user in each functional area to give a 5 minutes overview of how they use ToutApp
- In that same session show your team that they can be a part of making the playbook even better by incorporating unique things they do every day into ToutApp
- Show them the core messaging you trained them on is available where they work
- Following your Tout training session share Tout University – They will be Tout Masters in NO time!
- Create reports (if you have salesforce check out the ToutApp Sales Acceleration Dashboards) to broadcast and recognize the reps that are leveraging the messaging within ToutApp
Measure & Improve
Congratulations! Now you’ve got the team using your playbook on a daily basis through ToutApp. That alone will help with the consistency of your sales team but what will start to materially transform results is when you use the data collected improve the playbook you have in place.
Questions you should be asking yourself when you look at the Tout Analytics here (or Sales Acceleration Dashboard in Salesforce):
- What messaging is my team using? At which stage of the sales cycle?
- Which templates or campaigns are getting the most action from your prospects, active opportunities and customers?
- Are there parts of your playbook that are not being used at all? Find out if they are stale or they need to be publicized.
- What are our best reps doing? Does that match the playbook? If not, dig deeper with the rep and decide if you want to incorporate those approaches.
As you answer these questions and more, start to take your findings, come up with edits that you think will improve results and incorporate them into your process. When you look at your analytics next month see how the updates are performing compared to the old approach. That will close the loop on whether it is a good change or not.
Share your findings with the team and incentivize them to try them out and give you feedback. You can use the following tactics:
- Weekly email to highlight messaging from top reps and share best practices tailored to sales team & initiatives
- Stand up meeting to share an A/B test you are running to generate pipeline within a particular industry
- Have everyone share their top prospecting template and give the person with the highest reply rate a Coffee Card
- Set up a SPIFF for the person that creates the most impactful (defined by you) template
Once you invest the time digitizing your existing sales playbook the heavy lifting is done. You will get better adoption and see your sales accelerate. But if you want to super charge the results you get from the investment — take our advice and apply a strategy to measure, manage and improve the playbook over time.
When teams get this right… the life of a sales leader becomes easier when to rolling out a new strategy or reinforcing live training. Your reps cut out administrative clutter that reduces the time they spend on selling activities. And your organization as a whole will be more data driven when it comes to the communication you have with your prospects at every stage of the sales cycle.
Here at ToutApp, we love feedback. Let us know how this goes, where you run into struggles and the wins your team sees from adoption of, and improvements to, your digitized sales playbook. Happy Selling!